How easy is it to insulate prior to installing concrete floors in basements?
Installing under slab insulation before the concrete is poured is very simple. The necessary steps are as follows:
- Finished height of ceiling: Know where the finished height of the concrete slab needs to be, and make sure you don’t back fill too much. It is crucial to have enough depth for the moisture-resistant insulation you are going to use.
- Grading: Ensure the gravel or sand is as flat as possible. The insulation follows the contour of the ground. The more level the ground and even the concrete slab, the stronger the concrete slab will be.
- Area to insulate: Calculate how much surface area you need to cover by measuring length multiplied by width.
- Moisture barrier: Although seams could be taped, it is always best practice to lay a moisture barrier under your insulation. A moisture barrier under the insulation will help control gasses from coming through the concrete floor.
- Insulation placement: Place the sheets of rigid insulation under the entire area to be covered by concrete.
You only have one chance to install the concrete slab properly without jack hammering out the floor. As such, be sure to follow the installation instructions provided to you when purchasing INSTA-PANELS®. Generally, it will take about a day to install INSTA-PANELS® properly.